Buying Tires for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL: What You Need to Know
When you purchase a Jeep Wrangler, it’s likely because you want a ride that offers incredible capabilities off the beaten path around Louisville. That’s because Jeep Wrangler vehicles provide legendary off-road performance and durability. With that being said, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL is often considered one of the most dependable vehicles Jeep has put out yet. It features plenty of comfort features and technology while offering incredible suspension, great steering geometry, and much more.
We find that many Lexington drivers love the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL because of its versatility to be ideal on and off the road. However, while the 2018 Jep Wrangler JL provides outstanding performance, it will eventually need to have its tires replaced like many other vehicles. But, where do you even begin? Today, the service experts from Cross Chrysler Jeep FIAT will touch on the following items to help you when it’s time to upgrade your 2018 Jeep Wrangler tires:
- Stock 2018 Jeep Wrangler tire sizes
- Advice for upgrading your Jeep with big tires
- 2018 Wrangler tires & lifts
- Jeep tire covers & accessories
Jeep Wheels & Tires: 2018 Wrangler JL Tire Sizes
After purchasing a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, many owners might be wondering what Jeep Wrangler JL tires they should be opting for. At our service center, we often get asked, “What are the largest Jeep tires you can buy without lifting your Wrangler?” Fortunately, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL has wheel openings that are large enough to accommodate a variety of different Jeep wheels and tire sizes. This wide range of flexibility makes the 2018 Wrangler JL a fan-favorite among many Jeep enthusiasts. With that being said, let’s take a look at some of the 2018 jeep Wrangler tire sizes:
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport: 31.5-inch tall, 245/75R18 tires.
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara: 32-inch tall, 255/70/R18 tires.
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon: 33-inch tall, 285/70R17 tires.
Thanks to the various 2018 Jeep Wrangler tire sizes, you’ll be able to fit a variety of different Jeep wheels and tire setups depending on your exact needs. Be sure to give our service team a visit for more information on the stock sizes of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL tires.
What You Need to Know About Upgrading Your Jeep With Big Tires
With the varying 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL tire sizes, you’ll want to make sure you select the model that fits your La Grange lifestyle if you plan on keeping your Wrangler at stock height. Here are some things you need to know if you’re upgrading your Jeep with big tires if you have the 2018 Wrangler JL:
- Not only do the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL tires change size based on trim level, but they also change ride height as well. For example, the 2018 jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon comes with different suspensions and larger wheel openings that allow it to be fitted with larger tires.
- Sport or Sahara trim level owners who opt for 33-inch Wrangler tires will want to consider replacing the plastic fender flares with raised or high-top fenders. Opting for upgraded fenders will not affect the ride quality of your Jeep. However, it’ll allow you to have more clearance for the bigger Wrangler tires. Additionally, you might need to add wheel spacers or new wheels with around a 4.5-inch backspacing if you opt for 33-inch tires.
- If you decide to go with larger Jeep tires, will you be doing strictly street driving, or will you be taking it off-road as well? If you’re just doing driving on the pavement, you may not need to install a lift. If you’re looking for off-road performance, it might be a good idea to have a lift installed.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Tires & Lifts
Inevitably, you may need to look into lifting your 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL if you decide to opt for larger tires. Not only can lifting offer more clearance for larger Jeep tires and wheels, but it’ll also offer better off-road performance. Some key things to keep in mind with lifting your 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL are as follows:
- 33-inch tires: If you’re not looking to replace your stock fender flares but you want 33-inch Jeep Wrangler tires, you may also consider installing a 1.5 to 2-inch lift instead of new fenders.
- 35-inch tires: The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL was specifically designed to handle 35-inch tires. However, unless you plan on driving carefully on the road, it’s best to opt for a 1-2 inch lift. For other Jeep Wrangler trim levels that aren’t the Rubicon, you will need a 1 to 2-inch lift with aftermarket raised fender flares if you want 35-inch tires. If you want to keep your stock fenders, you will need a 2 to 3-inch lift.
- 37-inch tires: In need of upgrades for more serious off-roading? Opt for 37-inch tires. Rubicon owners will need a 2 to 3-inch lift, correct bump stops, and axle upgrades to fit this large of a tire. Sahara and Sport owners will need all of this, plus new fender flares.
- 40-inch tires: For the most intense off-roading, you may want to go with 40-inch tires. 40-inch tires will need massive modifications such as 5 to 6-inch lifts, aftermarket fender flares, bump stop inspections, heavy alterations to fender openings, and potentially more.
Jeep Tire Covers & Accessories Available at Our Parts Center
Your original Jeep tire cover likely only fits the stock tire sizes that are offered on your 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. If you’re upgrading your tire sizes, you’ll likely need a new Jeep tire cover. Fortunately, you can give our parts center a visit if you need a new cover to help protect your tires. Additionally, our parts center is stocked with a large selection of Jeep accessories so that you can configure your Jeep Wrangler exactly to your liking. Order parts and accessories today from Cross Chrysler Jeep FIAT!
Get More Tips & Tricks From Cross Chrysler Jeep FIAT!
Whether you’re upgrading your 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL tires or you’re looking for expert advice, Cross Chrysler Jeep FIAT is here to help. Even long after you leave our Louisville showroom, our experts can help provide you with tips and tricks throughout your automotive journey. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know how we can help!