2024 Jeep Wrangler FAQ: Which Jeep Wrangler is Right For You
Jeep Wrangler has evolved greatly through the years all while keeping its iconic look and capability. With that in mind, we have compiled a quick breakdown of the latest generation Jeep Wrangler. The “JL” which started in the spring of 2018 and has continued until the present. Preceded by the “JK” 2007-2018, the “TJ” 1997-2007, the “YJ” 1986-1996, and the “CJ” 1945-1986.
Wrangler Sport: This is the entry level of Jeep Wrangler Available in 2 and 4-door models. Standard with the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine mated to a 6-speed manual transmission, 7inch touch screen radio, back-up camera, manual windows, door locks, 17-inch steel wheels, a soft top, air conditioning, and cloth seats. An 8-speed automatic transmission is optional with the V6 or standard if you choose the 2.0 Turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.
- Sport S: This equipment package on the Sport adds more convenience and comfort including power windows, power door locks, power heated mirrors, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Also, for added appearance are 17-inch Aluminum Wheels.
- Willys: Built on top of the Sport S package, this special package offers increased capability and styling. Standard with 32-inch Mud terrain tires mounted on black 17-inch wheels with increased traction from an added Trac-loc limited-slip differential. Also includes better protection from steel rock rails, increased visibility with standard LED lighting, finished off with distinctive Willys decals, and black performance grill.
- Altitude: Built on the Sport S package, this special edition offers unique styling by coming standard with 18-inch Gloss black wheels, a black accented grill, black decals/lettering, and Wizard black instrument panel. Standard with Black 3-piece Hard top and automatic transmission with your choice of 4- or 6-cylinder engine options. (Only available on 4-door model)
- Freedom: Built on top of the Sport S package, this edition pays homage to our troops. It separates itself with unique black 17-inch wheels, steel front bumper, special decals, and badging on the outside. Inside it has a special embossed mixed Leather interior.
- HIGHTIDE: Built on the Sport S package, this special edition comes equipped with eye-popping add-ons. First, look you will notice custom HIGHTIDE hood decals, a factory lifted suspension, 35inch tires mounted to 17inch bead-lock capable wheels with protection rings, Steel rock rails, Mopar swing gate reinforcement, LED lighting, Body-colored Hard top, and included a Sunrider flip top. Increased capability doesn’t stop with the larger tires and lift, it also comes standard with a Trac-loc limited slip differential and 4.56 gear ratio to support the larger tires. (Only available in 4-door with V6 engine and 8-speed automatic transmission)
Sahara: The next trim level on Wrangler the Sahara brings more refinement and luxury options. Previously available in a 2-door model, it is now only available in a 4-door configuration. Standard it comes with the 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbo engine mated to the 8-speed automatic transmission or the optional 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 mated to the 8-speed automatic transmission. (No manual transmission is offered on this trim). Inside you will notice the larger 8.4-inch touchscreen radio with navigation, dual-zone climate control, and premium sound. A 7-inch driver information display, a stitched cloth interior, and automatic headlights. On the exterior, it comes with 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, the silver accent in the grille and front bumper, Body-colored fender flairs as well as Sahara badging.
- Sahara Altitude: Built upon the Sahara trim level, this package includes 18-inch Gloss black wheels, a body-color hard top, black accents on the grill and front bumper, a Leather-trimmed interior, and Wizard black instrument panel.
- High Altitude: This is a package built on Sahara offers the most luxury available. It includes a Nappa Leather interior, stitched leather dash, 20-inch fully painted aluminum wheels, running boards, body-colored hard top, body-colored front and rear bumpers, body-colored door handles and mirrors, Led lighting, and all-black badging.
RUBICON: Our most capable off-road and top trim level. This level comes exclusively with front and rear heavy-duty axles equipped with a 4.10 gear ratio, a 4:1 low-range rock-track transfer case, selectable Tru-Loc electronic locking differentials, and an electronic disconnecting front sway bar. You will notice on the exterior it comes standard with the Power dome performance hood, rock rails, and 33-inch Off-road tires. Offered in 2-door and 4-door configurations, 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbo (Automatic only) and 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine options with 8-speed automatic and 6-speed manual transmissions.
- Xtreme recon: A package available on the Rubicon 4-door that includes a factory lifted suspension, 35inch offroad tires mounted on 17inch bead-lock capable wheels with protection rings, performance brakes, Mopar hinge gate reinforcement, and 4.56 gear ratio.
RUBICON 392: Taking Rubicon to the next level and only available on 4-door wrangler. The 392 package adds a 470 HP/ 470 FT/LB of Torque 6.4 Liter Hemi V8 under the hood. The package also includes a unique Hydro Guide functional Ram air hood, performance brakes, lifted performance suspension, 17inch unique bead-lock capable wheels, bronze accents, Leather-trimmed performance seats, steel winch capable front bumper, steel rear bumper, and a dual-mode exhaust. It also comes standard with Heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and an all-time 4-wheel drive system.
- Xtreme recon: Also available on 392 this includes 35inch offroad tires mounted on 17inch bead-lock capable wheels with protection rings and a 4.56 gear ratio. (Will be standard on 2024 Model year 392)
Wrangler 4XE: The most fuel-efficient Wrangler ever produced! Thanks to the addition of a hybrid drive combined with our 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine mated to the 8-speed automatic transmission they can achieve a 49 MPGe with 21 miles of all-electric range! All 4XE models come with blue accents incorporated on the outside and inside of the Jeep. 4XE Wranglers are all configured on 4-door models.
- Sport 4XE: All new to the Line up the entry-level 4XE sport comes with the 7-inch touch screen radio with automatic climate control, premium sound, and 20-inch fully painted wheels. Also, the signature blue tow-hooks.
- Willys 4XE: Built on the Sport 4Xe trim level it comes with more aggressive mud terrain tires, rock rails, LED Lighting, Trac-loc limited-slip differential, special decals, and a black grill.
- Sahara 4XE: Included on the Sahara 4XE are 20inch fully painted wheels, body-color fender flairs, an 8.4-inchtouchscreenn radio with navigation, premium sound, LED lighting, proximity keyless entry, and premium McKinley leather interior.
- Sahara High Altitude 4XE: This package builds upon the Sahara 4XE package by adding Body-color front and rear bumpers, mirrors, door handles, a Nappa Leather interior, blind spot monitoring, running boards, and special badging.
- Rubicon 4XE: For those looking to explore nature and the wilderness more eco-friendly and conserve fuel in town. The Rubicon 4XE comes with all the added capability of the Rubicon trim level with front and rear heavy-duty axles, selectable electronic Tru-loc locking differentials, and an electronic sway bar disconnect!
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 20th Anniversary Edition: Jeep released the Rubicon in 2003 designed by the “Lunatic Fringe” team inside Jeep. Bringing us one of the most capable off-road factory vehicles. Incorporating Locking differentials and heavy-duty axles into an already capable platform. The jeep then released a 10th-anniversary edition in 2013 which became one of the most sought-after models especially in the Anvil clearcoat exterior color and limited edition Red leather interior. Also bringing us the Power dome Hood and new factory-styled steel bumpers. Now after another 10 long years, we have 3 distinct 20th Anniversary editions. Only 3000 are scheduled to be built.
- Wrangler Rubicon 392 20th Anniversary: Based on the Fastest most powerful wrangler ever made with 470HP and 470 FT/LB of torque this will quickly turn heads with a unique grill, special badging, and onboard air.
- Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th Anniversary: Carrying Rubicon into the future Jeep has also offered a special anniversary package available on the Rubicon 4Xe trim. It also carries a unique grille and special badging.
- Wrangler Rubicon 392 20th Anniversary level II: As if a 392 Rubicon Anniversary edition wouldn’t be enough, Jeep teamed up with AEV ( American Expedition Vehicles) to take it to the next level. This Jeep gets fitted with an AEV package that includes a 2.5inch Suspension Lift, 37inch tires on AEV wheels, AEV Premium front bumper with 7000 series lighting, a warn winch, an AEV premium rear bumper with tire swing, and a full AEV branding package. This super exclusive package will be limited to only 150 units!
Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-2018) and JL (2018-present) comparison
Design: While keeping true to Jeeps Iconic design features both the JK and JL are very different. The JL brings more modern comfort and design to the storied wrangler. Starting with a 1inch wider stance for more stability and longer whwheelbaseor improving ride quality, both help increase interior space.
- The JK was powered first by the 3.3.8-liter6 with 210HP and received a nice power bump in 2012 when Jeep brought the 3.3.6-literentastar V6 into Wrangler with 285HP. Both were available with a 6-speed manual or 5 speed automatic.
- In comes the JL which was offered in several power plants. The 3.3.6-literentastar V6 starts the line up with a now upgraded stop start system, followed by the 2.0 Turbo 4-cylinder engine with an impressive 270 hp and 295 FT/LB of torque increasing fuel economy over the Pentastar. Jeep later reveals the 6.4 Liter 392 cubic inch Hemi V8 with 470HP/ 470TQ for those with an urge for more power. Offsetting that they also brought out the first Hybrid Wrangler mating a hybrid drive to the 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder, with 21 miles of alall-electricriving available when fully charged it also boasts 375HP and 470TQ. Even though no longer offered Jeep did offer the 3.0 Liter Eco-diesel for a few years, which put out 260HP and 442TQ in its last revision and an impressive 26MPG Hwy. All JL powertrains are mated to the 8-speed automatic, the 3.3.6-literentastar V6 being the only one offered with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Interior: This is where the JL separates itself from the JK. The interior updates with current technology are night and day different between the two. The JL comes standard with a totouchscreenadio, babackupamera, Bluetooth connectivity, plus lots more optional equipment, and safety features. This makes the JL a much more friendly daily driver and family vehicle than ever before. Also increasing interior space, ergonomics, and higher quality materials.
We hope this helps you decide which Wrangler is the right fit for you! These are just the standard features and highlights. Wrangler offers lots of optional equipment and features across the different Trim levels get ahold of one of our “Jeep Experts” for more specifics or questions!